Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How to Make Scallion Brushes

Usually my garnishes consist of chopped parsley and/or green onion.  Maybe a sprig of some miscellaneous herb.  Maybe some shaved Parm.  A Parmesan crisp if you're lucky.

I don't do radish roses or lemon crowns or carrot flowers.  I'm not much into fancy knife work.

In fact, as I type this, I'm nursing a throbbing nicked finger...proof that I'm a bit of a spaz.

But you knew that.

One thing I've learned how to do and enjoy doing (because I've never cut myself doing it) is make scallion brushes.  I think they're fun and festive. 


You'll need scallions, a sharp paring knife, and a bowl of ice water.


Cut the scallion lengthwise starting at the white portion.  Continue cutting up into the light green portion, stopping just before the leaves diverge. 

Don't cut all the way through to the other side. Use the knife tip to cut almost halfway into the scallion.

Make about 4 evenly spaced cuts.
By the way, there's my cut finger.  Isn't big, but it sure is deep.

Remove the top portion of the scallion at the point where your cuts end.


Submerge in ice water, gently pushing the scallion against the bottom of the bowl to fan out the leaves. 
Allow to soak for 15-20 minutes for the leaves to curl.

Now go find something to decorate!
Mom's Crab Dip

12 comments:

Quay Po Cooks said...

Nice picture instruction!

Deepa Praveen said...

Nice blog..thanks for sharing this...

Miriam said...

Too cute! Yea, I usually never make garnishes. I'll remember this one the next time I need to jazz up a dish for a picture! Have a beautful day :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Unknown said...

This is fantastic! What gorgeous garnishes - I've never been real strong in the garnish department, and would never have thought to use green onions... I love this!

Michelle B said...

Thanks! I think these are fun to make.

Velva said...

The scallion brushes are very simple and creative idea. Love it! Thanks for sharing

Velva

Marguerite said...

Hi neighbor! Just discovered your blog and love it! Your tutorials are fab! Your fellow Cajun, Marguerite

Martha said...

Very Cute! I usually just have enough time to grab a sprig of something too, but I like the fancy garnishes.

Dudut said...

Hi MM,

this is my first time in your site and i find it very helpful and informative...great site you have here!

by the way, do you have a twitter account? would love to follow you :)

Unknown said...

Looks pretty neat for a party ! Thnx

Treat and Trick said...

It looks so pretty! Thanks for sharing...

Jamie K said...

I love these!! Will have to make some soon!